IWSG: Why I Read Widely


This post is for the Insecure Writers Support Group Blog Hop. Sign up here.

This is my first post for the group. Thank you for having me.

 "March 3 question - Everyone has a favorite genre or genres to write. But what about your reading preferences? Do you read widely or only within the genre(s) you create stories for? What motivates your reading choice?"

I read anything almost anything I can put my hands (eyes?) on. Writing does have a tendency to change why I choose what I choose, though.

For example...

I read romance for enjoyment, but it also teaches me how to show a relationship's development in written form and how to portay inner emotions/turmoil.

I read fantasy because it's my first and foremost love, but it also teaches me how to build solid settings and story physics, as well as the importance of power, politics, and hope/wonder.

I read a lot of non-fiction for fun and information. In the process I learn about things like Europe's little ice age, why email marketing is not for me right now, and passive solar heating for the home (very important to me after going through a polar vortex with no power).

Obviously, I also read for research purposes, but often I get the spark of an idea from a non-fiction book I read just for fun.

I tend not to read literary or erotica, but I think I'm going to at least try to read more of the former so I can apply some of the techniques to my short stories.

And you? How wide do you cast your reading net, and why?

Comments

  1. Hello and welcome to IWSG! Good to meet you on your inaugural post with this great group of bloggers. Interesting that you realize how much you can learn about writing when you're reading. I've noticed other bloggers mentioning that too. Yes, I read different genres and I write different genres. I like to vary my reading to keep it fresh and interesting. I usually read a fiction and a non-fiction book (usually a book on the craft of writing) at the same. Happy IWSG Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thank you for the welcome!

      Fiction and non-fiction at the same time? I'm impressed. Every time I've tried that I end up feeling too scattered.

      Happy IWSG day!

      Delete
  2. Oh, like you, I read a variety of genres. When the mood hit, I switch it up. :-)

    Welcome to the group.

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the IWSG!
    Fantasy is one of my favorite genres to read although I've not attempted to write it. The genre also teaches one a lot about world building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the welcome!

      Fantasy and worldbuilding: oh yes. I'm always amazed/inspired/intimidated when I see a really well-built world in fantasy.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your first IWSG post! I read a lot of women’s fiction, but also mystery and memoir and pretty much anything referred to me by friends...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Friends who love books, too, are the best. :)

      Delete
  5. Fantasy is my first love too. I used to read it exclusively, but I soon realized I was missing out on so many great stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given the size of many fantasy books, and the size of many fantasy series, it's easy to stay exclusive to that genre. :)

      I adore fantasy, but I'm glad to hear you expanded your reading. *Raises glass* To stories!

      Delete
  6. Welcome to IWSG. You'll find many friends here. Yes, I'm always on the lookout to learn things from the books I read, which definitely includes genres other to what I write. It would be dull if we had to stick to narrow parameters in genres.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think reading across genres can definitely help hone our writing, and I like how you mentioned the strengths of fantasy and romance. I read those for those same reasons (and because I like them). I don't read mystery often, but I do once in a while to help me work on slow reveals of information, which is something I think mystery writers do really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that as something I could learn from mystery. Thank you, Tyrean!

      Delete
  8. I recently read that a writer should read romance for characterization, SF for worldbuilding and mystery for plotting (which sounds not too far removed from your own preferences). It’s an interesting idea.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts