#IWSG: How Readers Influence My Writing (Two Examples)

 

 


 This post is part of the Insecure Writer's Support Group's monthly blog hop, which occurs on the first Wednesday of every month. If you'd like to sign up, click the link below!

IWSG Sign Up Page


May 5 question - Has any of your readers responded to your writing in a way you didn't expect? If so, did it surprise you?

This has happened to me a couple of times. The first time was when a reader told me one of my stories (none published under this name) had opened up her mind to new possibilities for her life. And the second was when a reader told me there was a lot of romantic passion in a fantasy story I'd written.

Both times surprised me.

The first one surprised me because, up to that point, I'd been writing simply for myself. The idea that what I'd written might cause someone to change his or her life was something I had never considered. Ever. Because I only wrote for me. Back then, anyway.

The second one surprised me because, although romance in my fiction is pretty much an absolute necessity when it comes to reading, I'd never considered the same for my fiction. Until that reader pointed it out.

It was because of that reader that I've allowed romance to show up as strongly in my stories as it has. (Such as the romances are.)

So I'm grateful for every reader that's commented on what I've written. It expands my stories and improves my work each time.

Comments

  1. Wow. That first one is quite the compliment. And readers do have a different insight that us writers do into our writing. Sometimes very helpful, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to write the exact same thing, so I'll just say thanks for saying it first! :D

      Delete
    2. Sorry it's taken so long to respond. Compliment: I know! :D I'm continually shocked, especially since I initially wrote that story just for me. I'm very glad it's found its niche. :)

      Delete
  2. Readers see so much more in our words than we do, and that's often a good thing. Although I doubt anything in my books would change anyone's life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do. And you can never tell what gems they'll find that you didn't even know were there. I'm sure your stories have that ability. Maybe something in your books have already changed someone's life and they just haven't told you yet. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts