Washing Dishes With Just a Gallon of Water

Clean dishes that have been washed with green plants in background



I live in Texas where water usage is something we're increasingly aware of as a family. We've lowered our usage in a number of ways, but I could never get it down below four gallons just for washing dishes.

Until now. And it's all thanks to this video.

I had heard of permaculture but hadn't gotten very much into it. Then I watched this video by Paul Wheaton where he shows how little water washing dishes by hand can take.

I tried it. We have a large family but, using this method, we still only needed about two and a half gallons to wash the dishes (not counting the amount we had to run* before the water heated up). I didn't alter the amount of soap I usually use for washing dishes by hand. (Note: I also add some vinegar to counteract our hard water.) Still worked beautifully. Thank you, Paul Wheaton!

Here it is:




What do you think? And do you have any further suggestions or comments? Let me know below.

(And I'm still working on Echelon #4, btw. Hope to have a decent progress update soon.)



*For those who are curious, we collected that water and used it on our lawn.

Comments

Popular Posts