IWSG: Taking Risks in Writing?


This post is part of the Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) Blog Hop. Sign up!

April's optional question: Are you a risk-taker when writing? Do you try something radically different in style/POV/etc. or add controversial topics to your work? 

Wow. My first instinct is that, no, I don't. Not in style or POV or anything like that.

But in thinking about it, Echelon is about interplanetary slavery, and the associated short story I published has a mixed-race heroine who falls in love with her alien master's son.

So, given recent events yeah, I guess I do take risks and cover controversial topics. I hope I do it well, with understanding and sensitivity to the complexity of said issues.

What about you? What risks do you take in writing and or/life?

Comments

  1. That sounds like a great story. Reflecting real-life issues in other universes can be a good way to address topics, and maybe help someone going through them, without needing to be too raw or direct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're following in the wonderful tradition of Gene Roddenberry--tackling current issues in a futuristic world. Not always easy to do with grace and style. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts